New tax rates for working holiday makers will apply from 1 January 2017

Funeral Arrangements
December 6, 2016
Client Alert Newsletter – February 2017
February 2, 2017
Show all

New tax rates for working holiday makers will apply from 1 January 2017

From 1 January 2017 tax rates are changing for working holiday makers who hold 417 and 462 visas. These rates are known as working holiday maker tax rates.

What you need do

If you employ a working holiday maker who is in Australia on a 417 or 462 visa, you:

  • must register with us to withhold at the working holiday maker tax rate
  • can visit to check a worker has a 417 or 462 visa using the Visa Entitlement Verification Online service
  • must withhold tax at  15% on income up to $37,000 and apply foreign resident tax rates on income over $37,000.

If you, as an employer, do not register, then you must withhold tax at 32.5% for the first $37,000 of a working holiday maker’s income. From $37,001, normal foreign resident withholding rates apply.

Penalties may apply for failing to register.

What happens next?

The working holiday tax rates only apply to income earned from 1 January 2017. 
If you currently employ working holiday makers, you will need to issue two payment summaries this year:

  • one for the period to 31 December 2016
  • a second for any period to 30 June 2017.

If you have any queries or would like some assistance with this matter, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team at or on +61 2 9299 9920.

From the accounting team at Cohen & Krass – where in-depth knowledge and extensive experience combines to give you the service and solutions you deserve.  

Share this:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *